TRA Project Analyst
TRA provides management and technical consulting services to the transportation industry, with a primary focus in public transit operations, safety, security, and maintenance. TRA’s work includes auditing, safety program development and assessment, and regulatory compliance assessments, as well as transit agency systems analyses. TRA provides its clients with technical assistance, detailed written reports and other deliverables, as well as both quantitative and qualitative analyses.
Project Analyst Position Description
The Project Analyst will be based either in TRA’s Philadelphia office or in Chicago (though TRA’s work is almost entirely virtual under pandemic conditions), and will interface closely with TRA’s Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, Florida, Washington, DC, and Pittsburgh staff. The Project Analyst will travel frequently in support of TRA projects throughout the United States. The Project Analyst supports TRA’s consulting staff and its highly varied, technical work. Responsibilities include participating in client interviews, field assessments, and observations; documentation of business processes; writing and editing reports and proposals; interpreting and editing client documentation and procedures; and providing data, information, and analyses for use by TRA project managers and subject matter experts. The position answers primarily to TRA personnel, but also will interface with TRA clients in both public and private sectors. The Project Analyst will join a staff of other, very skilled Analysts who are involved in multiple projects — with varied groups of coworkers — at any given time. The Project Analyst often also works independently and will be expected to continuously learn about all aspects of public transportation operations, maintenance, safety, and security.
Project Analyst Qualifications
- Master’s degree is required. A candidate with a bachelor’s degree will be considered only with significant, applicable transportation industry experience.
- Candidates with experience in rail and bus transit, general transportation, engineering, planning, or similar disciplines are often successful, however applicants with other applicable backgrounds may be considered.
- Knowledge of or interest in public transportation operations, maintenance, or safety is preferred. Familiarity with Safety Management Systems (SMS) in any industry is beneficial, as is knowledge of Federal Transit Administration and/or US Department of Transportation requirements.
- Candidates who have completed the FTA Transit Safety and Security Program certification are preferred.
- Project Analyst candidates must be detail-oriented, organized, and flexible. Candidates must have excellent written and verbal communications skills, strong ability for critical thinking, and an excellent capacity to analyze, understand, and incorporate technical information. Candidates must also be able to think creatively about data and how to present it as useful and engaging information, both for external and internal use.
- Candidates must be able work independently and interface regularly with a wide range of clients. Successful Project Analysts must be outgoing, engaging, and social, and must actively look for ways they can help the TRA team. A TRA Project Analyst must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Database and MS Project experience is a plus.
The Project Analyst position is based in Philadelphia or Chicago, but also includes approximately frequent (often 40% – 60%, sometimes more) travel, much of which includes multi-day trips, as dictated by current projects. Project travel is temporarily on hold during the COVID-19 pandemic and will eventually resume. Position is salaried, and is based on an approximately 45-hour work week, not inclusive of travel time or non-working time at project site locations. Schedule and total hours will vary depending on current assignments. The Project Analyst will see a progressive increase in responsibilities. There are opportunities for professional advancement within TRA for successful Analysts. Compensation will be based on skills and experience.
Tell us why you are the right person for TRA’s Project Analyst position – send your qualifications and a cover letter or expression of interest explaining why you would be a good fit for the Project Analyst position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants without a cover letter or expression of interest will not be considered.
TRA provides practical, high-value services that enhance safety, security, operations, and management. Our experts focus on the unique needs of each client, working within their resources to deliver effective solutions.
TRA will leverage its strong reputation for quality consulting services to continue to grow the markets we serve, the quality of our client services, the efficiency and effectiveness of our internal business processes, and the development and satisfaction of our employees, upon whom our continued success depends.