Systems Engineer (Train Control/Traction Power) – July 2021
TRA is looking for an experienced Systems Engineer to join our dynamic team. Responsibilities include:
- Providing subject matter expertise in rail and transit train control and traction power systems.
- Conducting technical reviews, audits, process assessments, and transportation consulting services to TRA’s clients and project stakeholders.
- Leveraging technical experience and expertise in transit safety, operations, maintenance, and/or engineering.
- Providing technical, programmatic, and analytic input into TRA’s consulting projects.
- Acting as a front-line interface with TRA’s clients and other project stakeholders.
- Participating in client interviews, field assessments, and observations.
- Writing and editing technical reports and analyses.
- Interpreting and editing client documentation and procedures.
- Providing data, information, and analyses for use by TRA project managers and subject matter experts.
- Contributing to TRA business development efforts, such as proposal development, client relations, and teaming partner cultivation.
- Mentoring TRA’s junior staff.
TRA System Engineer Qualifications
- Strong rail and/or transit industry experience in train control and traction electrification/power systems.
- Engineering-focused education required, professional engineer (P.E.) certification preferred.
- Completion of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Transit Safety and Security Program Certificate, or the Public Transportation Safety Certification Training Program, is a strong plus. Candidates who do not possess the TSSP credential will be required to attain it as part of their work with TRA.
- Knowledge or interest in public transportation operations, maintenance, emergency preparedness, security, and/or safety, and especially safety management system (SMS) frameworks is strongly preferred, as is familiarity with FTA and United States Department of Transportation requirements.
- Candidates must be proven leaders, with a strong record of stakeholder relations and coworker interaction.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and flexible.
- Must have outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of critical thinking, and the ability to easily analyze, understand, and synthesize technical information for consulting work products.
- Ability to think creatively about data and how to present it as useful and engaging information.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team while regularly interfacing with a wide range of clients.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs – Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Database and MS Project experience is a plus.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
- S. citizen.
- Physical agility sufficient to meet typical rail transit and railroad requirements for roadway worker protection (working in rail transit and railroad rights-of-way safely).
Education and Experience Level
- Master’s degree in engineering, transportation planning, public administration, or similar field is required.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in rail transit or related discipline.
This position will be based in Philadelphia, with regular interface with TRA staff and clients in throughout the United States. Frequent travel (40-60%) in support of TRA projects is expected. TRA is open to candidates based in other locations, however travel and work logistics expectations may change in such cases.
- Compensation will be based on skills and experience.
- Position is salaried, and is based on an approximately 45-hour work week, not inclusive of travel time or non-working time at project site locations.
- Schedule and total hours will vary depending on current assignments.
Potential candidates are invited to send a detailed resume along with a cover letter describing their interest in the Technical Consultant/Project Engineer position. Include an explanation of how qualifications meet the needs of this position, as well as their understanding of TRA and its work. Send all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transportation Resource Associates, Inc. (TRA) provides management and technical consulting services to the transportation industry, with a primary focus in public transit operations, safety, security, and maintenance. TRA’s work includes auditing, safety program development and assessment, and regulatory compliance assessments, as well as transit agency systems analyses. TRA provides its clients with technical assistance, detailed written reports and other deliverables, as well as both quantitative and qualitative analyses. www.traonline.com