TRA Technical Consultant/Project Engineer
TRA provides management and technical consulting services to the transportation industry, especially in public transit operations, safety, security, and maintenance. TRA’s work includes auditing, safety program development and assessment, and regulatory compliance assessments, as well as transit agency systems analyses. TRA provides its clients with detailed written findings and recommendations, as well as both quantitative and qualitative analyses.
Technical Consultant/Project Engineer Position Description
TRA is looking for an experienced Technical Consultant (TC/PE) to join our dynamic team. The TC/PE’s responsibilities will include:
- Working either from TRA’s Philadelphia office or alongside our Chicago-based team (though TRA’s work is almost entirely virtual under pandemic conditions), and working with TRA’s Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, Washington, DC, Florida, and Pittsburgh staff.
- Traveling frequently in support of TRA projects throughout the United States.
- Leveraging technical experience and expertise in transit safety, operations, maintenance, and/or engineering on TRA’s consulting projects.
- Providing technical, programmatic, and analytic input into TRA’s consulting projects, whether as a project manager or subject matter expert working at the direction of others.
- Acting as a front-line interface with TRA’s clients and other project stakeholders.
- Participating in client interviews, field assessments, and observations; documentation of business processes; writing and editing reports and proposals, interpreting and editing client documentation and procedures; and providing data, information, and analyses for use by TRA project managers and subject matter experts.
- Contributing to TRA business development efforts, including helping to develop proposals and qualifications, and using industry contacts and knowledge to help TRA grow its project portfolio.
- Contributing to and mentoring the development of TRA’s junior staff.
The position answers primarily to TRA personnel, but will also interface with TRA clients.
Technical Consultant/Project Engineer Minimum Qualifications
- Master’s degree in engineering, transportation planning, public administration, or similar field is required.
- Minimum of ten years experience in rail or bus transportation, safety, operations, maintenance, or engineering is strongly preferred. However, candidates with successful careers in other applicable areas will be considered.
- Completion of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Transit Safety and Security Program Certificate, or the Public Transportation Safety Certification Training Program, is a strong plus — candidates who do not possess the TSSP credential will be required to attain it as part of their work with TRA.
- Knowledge or interest in public transportation operations, maintenance, emergency preparedness, security, and/or safety, and especially safety management system (SMS) frameworks is strongly preferred, as is familiarity with FTA and United States Department of Transportation requirements.
- Candidates must be proven leaders, with a strong record of stakeholder relations and coworker interaction.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and flexible.
- Must have outstanding verbal and written communication skills, demonstrate high levels of critical thinking, and easily analyze, understand and synthesize technical information for consulting work products.
- Candidates must think creatively about data and how to present it as useful and engaging information, both for external and internal use.
- Candidates must be able work independently and interface regularly with a wide range of clients. Successful candidates must be outgoing, engaging, and social, and must actively look for ways they can help the TRA team.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Database and MS Project experience is a plus.
- Candidates must have strong writing skills and be able to communicate complex information effectively to multiple types of audiences, including individuals with and without technical backgrounds or skills.
- Must be primarily based in Philadelphia or Chicago, but also able to engage in frequent (often 40% – 60%, sometimes more) travel, much of which includes multi-day trips, as dictated by current projects. Project travel is temporarily on hold during the COVID-19 pandemic and will eventually resume. Position is salaried, and is based on an approximately 45-hour work week, not inclusive of travel time or non-working time at project site locations. Schedule and total hours will vary depending on current assignments.
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s license, be able to pass a criminal background check, be a U.S. citizen, and have physical agility sufficient to meet typical rail transit and railroad requirements for roadway worker protection (working in rail transit and railroad rights-of-way safely).
- Candidates must send a detailed description of their interest in the Technical Consultant/Project Engineer position, their ability to meet its qualifications, their understanding of TRA and its work, and how they will help TRA thrive and grow. Send your qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants without a cover letter or expression of interest will not be considered.
Compensation for Technical Consultant/Project Engineer position will be commensurate with skills and experience.
TRA provides practical, high-value services that enhance safety, security, operations, and management. Our experts focus on the unique needs of each client, working within their resources to deliver effective solutions.
TRA will leverage its strong reputation for quality consulting services to continue to grow the markets we serve, the quality of our client services, the efficiency and effectiveness of our internal business processes, and the development and satisfaction of our employees, upon whom our continued success depends.